This unit is an extension of the material which was covered in Grade 9.
Nomenclature and acid-base reactions will form the major components of this unit. This material
(as well as that from the Grade 9 course) will provide you with the fundamental components
necessary for senior chemistry courses.
I have included a list of major concepts, some detail you should be familiar with and some links
to numerous sites which will allow you to view, download or print material which is directly
related to these concepts. In addition there may be some material which is of interest to
you (hey you never know!).
The links will assist you if you run into any difficulties and have specific questions.
Properties and Atomic Structure of Matter
- differences between: physical and chemical properties,pure substances and mixtures, solution
- and heterogenous mixture, element and compound, atoms and molecules.
- Three parts of an atom (proton, neutron and electron) and their respective mass and charge
- Determine the number of subatomic particles in an atom.
- Standard atomic notation
- Mendelev and his periodic law
- Five major groups of elements (Noble, Alkali, Halogens, Hydrogen, Metalloids) and their respective properties.
- Differences between ionic and molecular compounds.
- Name, write and recognize formulas for ionic, molecular and polyatomic compounds.
- Write and Recognize word equations.
- Balance chemical equations.
- Explain using the Law of conservation of Mass and Atomic Theory.
Types of Chemical Reactions
- You need to know the four types of chemical reactions and be able to recognize and provide
examples of each one. (i.e.)
- Single Displacement.
- Double Displacement.
Factor which Effect Reaction Rates
- Name, describe and give examples for four of them. (i.e.)
- Temperature, surface area, catalysts and concentration.
Acids and Bases
- Describe properties of each.
- What is the pH scale?
- What is involved in a neutralization reaction?
- Webelements Using a periodic table interface find the chemical properties of the elements. Information on physical properties, uses, and history. Images of the elements are also available.
- Chemelements A good source of information on the elements.
- Elements A source on some of the handling issues regarding the elements. It will also prove to be
VERY useful for researching individual elements.
- Element Quiz 3 quizzes that will help you learn the atomic symbols and their corresponding element; it also includes wordsearches.
- Education World Provides the history of the atom and periodic table.
Return to Grade 10