For many of you this will be the first time that you will explore
chemistry in more detail. It is (believe it or not) a very interesting
subject which has applications to almost everything; from cars to food and
even to the screen which you are reading this from.
I have included a list of major concepts, some detail you should be familiar with and some links
to numerous sites which will allow you to view, download or print material which is directly
related to these concepts. In addition there may be some material which is of interest to
you (hey you never know!).
The links will assist you if you run into any difficulties and have specific questions.
Properties of Matter
- differences between: physical and chemical properties,pure substances and mixtures, solution
- and heterogenous mixture, element and compound, atoms and molecules.
- particle theory of matter.
Models of Matter
- You need to know the historical models of matter from the Greeks, alchemists, Dalton,
- Thompson, Rutherford and Bohr.
- Bohr-Rutherford diagrams
- Counting atoms
- Three parts of an atom (proton, neutron and electron) and their respective mass and charge
- Standard atomic notation
- Determine the number of subatomic particles in an atom.
- Mendelev and his periodic law
- Five major groups of elements (Noble, Alkali, Halogens, Hydrogen, Metalloids) and their respective properties.
- Names and formulas for simple compounds.
- Structural diagrams.
- Webelements Using a periodic table interface find the chemical properties of the elements. Information on physical properties, uses, and history. Images of the elements are also available.
- Chemelements A good source of information on the elements.
- Elements A source on some of the handling issues regarding the elements. It will also prove to be
VERY useful for researching individual elements.
- Bohr-Rutherford Diagrams This is a very simplistic program showing the Bohr-Rutherford diagrams for the first 20 elements. You can download or run right it from this page (only 88k).
- Element Quiz 3 quizzes that will help you learn the atomic symbols and their corresponding element; it also includes wordsearches.
- Education World Provides the history of the atom and periodic table.