Ecology and the sustainability of ecosystems is a critical part of our
everyday life. The ability to recognize and understand the interaction among and between biotic
and abiotic forces is very important. This is (believe it or not) a very interesting
subject which has applications to almost everything you experience during the course of a day.
I have included a list of major concepts, some detail you should be familiar with and some links
to numerous sites which will allow you to view, download or print material which is directly
related to these concepts. In addition there may be some material which is of interest to
you (hey you never know!).
The links will assist you if you run into any difficulties and have specific questions.
Cycling of Matter
- Nitrogen Cycle
- Movement of Nitrogen via biotic and abiotic means.
- Cycling of Carbon, Oxygen and Energy.
- State these influences
- Explain how and why they affect biotic communities.
- Factors which affect and limit populations
- Give specific examples
- Determine the number of subatomic particles in an atom.
- Graphically analyze and explain a specific population growth curve
Changes in Ecosystems
- Short and long term stresses.
- Natural vs. disturbed ecosystems
- Explain the process of photosynthesis
- Explain the process of cellular respiration.
- How are they related to each other?.
Return to Grade 10