This unit on space seems to be an enjoyable one for most students. We do not talk about little
green men but S.E.T.I. and the Drake equation may briefly pop up.
I have included a list of major concepts, some detail you should be familiar with and some links
to numerous sites which will allow you to view, download or print material which is directly
related to these concepts. In addition there may be some material which is of interest to
you (hey you never know!).
The links will assist you if you run into any difficulties and have specific questions.
Origins of the Universe
Formation of Our Solar System
- "Big Bang Theory"
- Observational evidence to support it.
- What is infinity?
Our Solar System
- Explain, in some detail, the formation of galaxies and solar systems.
The Fate of Stars
- The nine planets and some of their properties.
- Motion of planets.
- Structue of our Sun
- Differences between meteor, meteoroid, meteorite and comet.
- Recognize some constellations
Humans in Space
- The life cycles of stars.
- Differences and similarities between nova, supernova, pulsars, neutron stars and black
- Effects of microgravity on organisms.
- Satelites and the space shuttle.
The Big Bang!
Provides the supporting evidence and description.
The Big Bang?
This site challenges the Big Bang Theory - a bit philosophical but interesting.
Provides good information on the planets and constellations
Provides all the information you need to know on the life and death of stars
Humans in Space
A wealth of information on the obsticles of inhabiting space
The best site to start with for any questions you may have.
- Take a quiz
Return to Grade 9